Friday, March 6, 2015

The Writing Process

Since I have never had to create a project like this before I didn't really know how to start once I had my idea. My sister majored in film and television at Boston University, so I called her to ask her for advice and to get her opinion on my concept. She calmed me down and directed me to a good article to read to get started on writing a screenplay for a short film: 7 Simple Secrets for Making an Outstanding Short Film. This article was really helpful in guiding me in the right direction to begin 
writing. I now that I don't necessarily need my short film to be filmed with dialogue at all times. This was actually a really helpful tip because it helped me think of cool shots that I could replace with dialogue to not make the story so complicated. This article also gave me tips on how to keep the film simple, and create memorable characters. Another article I read that wasn't necessarily geared towards short films, but had good steps to follow to get started on writing was: How To Write a Screenplay: The 5 Step Process. Throughout this article, I learned how to go about writing a screenplay. Although, the author of this article was referring more to a feature film there were good pointers that I'm going to use when I start writing. By reading this I got the idea to start writing by writing a logline, which is the entire short film in one sentence. 


Logline: A strange teenage guy sees a quirky street performer and is immediately mesmerized by her, so he begins to stalk her until he finally gets the courage to ask her out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment