Wednesday, March 11, 2015

The "Stalker" Genre

My concept for my short film has to do with a very free-spirited teenage girl named May (think Phoebe from "Friends") and a loner photographer named Artie. The story goes that Artie sees May singing and is mesmerized by her, a one-sided love at first sight type of experience. Artie begins taking pictures of her, and to be technical stalking her. However, I'm going to take the typical "stalker" genre and put my own twist on it. While doing research on typical stalker films I came upon this article: The Price of Crazy: What Hollywood's 'Stalker' Genre Says About Mental Health Stigma. Although this article doesn't pertain to exactly what I'm doing it was very useful in giving me tips on what not to do. Artie doesn't have a mental illness per say, instead he just resembles a stalker. I want my film is going to do something different from normal stalker films. It will have an underlying creepy tone to the film, but it also has a sort of romantic comedy feel to it. While Artie does get a little creepy when taking pictures of her it is merely because he sees May as his muse. I want my audience to perceive Artie as creepy, so that way there is more of a plot twist at the end. However, in the end Artie will be harmless and instead of having a huge stalker thriller where someone ends up dead I want it to be more quirky and weird. I want to make my audience relate to Artie. He's a 16 year old guy with no friends, who just wants to work on his photography. He sees this beautiful girl and it's his first real crush, so he doesn't know how to handle himself. My goal is to almost merge genres. I want to have creepy, although harmless, elements to my film mixed with a sweet ending. 

No comments:

Post a Comment